Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Technology-Infused Classroom




To me, a technology-infused classroom would look like a scene from the Jetson’s when Elroy is studying at Little Dipper School. The classroom is full of useful tools (wireless, of course), the walls are see-through glass with video monitors infused into the glass so any wall can be used as a video display unit. Instead of the desks or computers being lined up in a row, or traditional stadium seating, pods of tables, workstations if you will, will be placed around the room with comfortable chairs. Who knows………….maybe they will float and give massages to the students?

Every student will have some form of wireless device with access to many useful apps. I think that there will be more distant or online learning going on. Sites like Edmodo will be used more in the classroom, and social networking or social learning will take place. Skype or some type of video interaction with professionals or students in other countries will be used a lot more in the classroom. Business has become international and I feel that education will follow this path in the future.

I plan on adding to my classroom technology wise. I already have a 46” T.V. mounted on the wall that I can hook up to the computer or television. I have a lab of 24 P.C. desktop computers, and every student will soon have their own iPad. However, by having desktop computers, I also have the stadium/rowed seating arrangement in my classroom. I would love to change this and have the pods of tables around the room. The towers would hang from the bottom of the table, out of the way, and I would love to have flat screen monitors so there was more room to work when the students are in a group setting.

This video shows the transformation of the classroom over the years. The end of the video shows a classroom that is close to how I see the future learning environment.  



No comments:

Post a Comment