The Internet
is a tool that has the ability to impact learners like never before. Answers to
students’ questions are at their fingertips, students can collaborate with
peers, mentor a professional, and share documents and information with ease. In
my opinion, learning has not seen such an impactful resource in ages, if ever.
Furthermore, visual
literacy allows teaches to touch a specific learner group. Certain students
benefit from this teaching tool. Modeling, mapping, and computer simulations
can are examples of ways to use visual literacy in the classroom.
Graphic
organizers are a strategy that I would like to use in my classroom. I have done
mini-organizers for major themes of a unit, but with new web technologies, I
think my students would benefit from a new trick brought to the classroom. Sites such as Holt Interactive Graphic
Organizers found here: http://my.hrw.com/nsmedia/intgos/html/igo.htm
Or Education
Place found here: http://www.eduplace.com/graphicorganizer/
To me, the
Internet is a tool that my students work with on a daily basis. Though it doesn’t happen very often, the days
when the Internet is down, times can me tough in the classroom. Don’t get me
wrong, I have taught long enough that I have a back up plan for most
technological mishaps, but the students and I have become so used to having
such a vast amount of knowledge and resources so available at an instant.
Last of all, I would like to share this video. Hopefully this will get the wheels turning as to how the Internet can become an effective tool in your classroom, and how social media may be the next way to reach our students.
Remember, Shift Happens!

No comments:
Post a Comment